Works for completion of breakwater and construction of the Commercial Port
Client: Municipality of Molfetta (BA)
Period of implementation: 2008
Total value of works: Euro 63.872.983,36
Value of our services: Euro 18.675.623
The works planned under the approved Detailed Design and the subsequent 2 change expert’s reports (2009) mainly refer to the works described below.
A total of 25 caissons were used for the formation of the quay, with anti-backwash cells, equal in the horizontal dimensions by with varying heights. The concrete superstructure, with slight steel reinforcement, was cast in-situ on prefabricated slabs that sealed the cells. Bollards and fenders were installed in the superstructure.
The project includes a core section of tout-Venant of natural boulders from 5-1000 kg, with a share of top +0.80 m and width at this altitude of about 2.65 m; a layer of filter in natural boulders category 1 (300-1000 kg) with a thickness of 1.2 m which continues horizontally and is interposed between the foot of the slope and the sand of the seabed; a Mantellata in natural boulders from 3-7 tons of double layer of a thickness of 2.5 m that reaches the height of 2.5 m above sea mean level.
Martello Quay, caissons
Consisting of 3 caissons without anti-backwash cells. An anchoring block of the corner bollard will be placed at the intersection between the North-West Quay and the Martello Quay.
Small Nautical Quay
The Small Nautical Quay was built with piled cement concrete elements, having a parallelepiped shape, on a riprap base. The total length is approximately 270 m.
In order to allow the safe entry of ships, the navigability of the port and the docking at the new quays, dredging was conducted with the complete re-use of the dredged materials in the construction of the port works.
- for the first phase a cutter suction dredger (CSD) was used, supported when necessary by a trailer suction hopper dredger (THSD);
- for the second phase a cutter suction dredger was used.
South-west Quay, South Face
The dock Southwest is realized by the superposition of boulders, concrete parallelepiped shape, on a bench in pietrame. The dock is completed with a jet crowning concrete.
The activity carried out by the Safety Coordinator at runtime concerned, first, critical analysis and updating content of the Safety Plan and Coordination (SPC). In particular, it has deepened the analysis of imported and exported risks arising from the interaction of the workings of the construction site with the surrounding natural environment and man-made coming to identify, in consultation with the company, the best logistic organization of the yard in terms of safety (relocation of facilities, access, internal roads and outdoor signage, fencing, etc.) and its evolution as a function of the different stages of work.
This analysis has regarded the following work macro-phases, identified for the contract:
- Layout of construction site;
- Underwater inspection and reclamation of the seabed;
- Construction, utilization and removal of provisional works (sedimentation basin, temporary embankment for access to the Salvucci detached mole);
- Construction of maritime defence works;
- Execution of dredging;
- Construction of quays with piled rocks;
- Construction of embankments, handling of materials;
- Execution of piles and foundations;
- Construction of reinforced concrete structures and works, prefabricated and installed on site;
- Construction of buildings and plant;
- Management and checking of sea and land equipment, interference with navigation and current activities;
- Finishing of the works and restoration of the construction site areas to their original conditions.
Later, during the preliminary phase of the installation of the construction site, the Safety Coordinator during construction checked the formal documents and the indications already contained in the Safety and Coordination Plan, convening the necessary coordination meetings.
During the construction of the works, the SCC and his assistants undertook, by daily presence at the construction site and coordination meetings, the checking activity to ascertain that the instructions of the Safety and Coordination Plans and the Operational Safety Plans of the companies were correctly implemented, and promptly intervening in case of any interferences and critical aspects of the works.