Works for the deepening and consolidation of the bed of the port canal and the outer harbour of the Port of Gioia Tauro (Reggio Calabria)
Client: Port Authority of Gioia Tauro Gioia Tauro (RC)
Period of implementation: 2008/2011
Total value of works Euro 40.380.064
The works, duly inspected, concerned the linear development of quays 1,895 m long in the Container Terminal of the Port of Gioia Tauro, managed under concession by the company Medcenter Container Terminal.
In order to limit the impact on the terminal activities, the work was characterized by the subdivision into lots to be gradually handed over to the concessionaire company, according to the programme for the construction of works agreed by the contractor, the terminal concessionaire company and the administration contracting the works.
The Detailed Design regarded the following activities:
- columnar treatment with jet grouting of canal bottom next to the bulkhead, with width 5.0 m and depth 5 m starting from the depth -16.3 m, along the entire length of the three stretches A, B and C;
- installation of filter and thickening matting for greater protection of the toe;
- dredging of the canal with placement of sand to refill the dedicated and authorized sites;
- lining of the bulkhead sea facing, from a depth of -16.0 m up to the crest beam, with concrete protection wall with a nominal thickness of 40 cm;
- construction of the new rail support beam in reinforced concrete, with axis 30.48 m from the quay rail, based on reinforced concrete elements with section 240 x 100 cm, placed with centre to centre distance of 6 m, up to the depth of -18 m, placed obliquely to the rail support beam;
- construction of the reinforced concrete connection slab, 40 cm thick, under the surface of the quay service area, cast on a layer of lean concrete with adequate thickness, extending from the bulkhead to the new rail support beam;
- paving of the quay and the area located behind the quay for a width of approximately 26 m in modified asphalt, produced by the series of sub-bases (only in the service area), base course, binder course and wearing course.
During the works, the Works Manager was appointed to draw up two change and additional expert’s reports.
The First Change and Additional Expert’s Report, approved in October 2008, aimed at improving the following technical and structural aspects of the intervention:
- safeguarding of the seabed
- consolidation of the toe of the quay;
- connection of slab to existing beams.
The Second Change and Additional Expert’s Report approved in April 2010 implemented the needs expressed by the Concessionaire, in terms of deepening up to the level of -18 m of a stretch of quay 120 m long, adjacent to the “deep water quay”.
During the drawing up of the Second Change Expert’ Report, the Port Authority also requested the Works Supervision to prepare an additional dredging project, both to respond to the new needs of the Concessionaire and to improve the efficiency of the quay moorings also in other areas of the Port not involved in the previous contracts, providing for the handling of dredged material, partly used in filling in areas inside the Porto, and partly for submerged refill on the San Ferdinando coastline.
In accordance with legislation in force on the construction and Works Supervision of public works, the activity of Works Manager was conducted starting from the preliminary phase of the works up to the delivery and subsequent inspection of the works. This involved:
- preliminary procedures before the delivery of the works;
- procedures during the construction of the works.
The undertaking of the function of Works Manager involved the setting up of a Works Supervision office consisting of the following professional figures:
- 1 Works Manager;
- 1 operational manager for maritime works;
- 1 assistant operational manager for Works Supervision and head of measurement and accounting;
- 3 construction site inspectors;
- construction site operational secretariat.
In the preliminary phase the Works Manager examined the Special Tender Specifications, the drawings and the detailed works schedule drawn up by the contractor, verifying the feasibility of the technical and economic aspects of the project.
The entire activity was undertaken in close coordination with the SPM (Single Procedure Manager) and in compliance with the instructions issued by the latter pursuant to Presidential Decree 554/99.
During the construction of the works, the Works Manager directly and indirectly managed all the functions and responsibilities of his role, ensuring his presence at the construction site to allow a detailed and constantly updated monitoring of the progress of the works, in order to:
- verify the adequacy of general planning of the works to be undertaken, the management, technical and administrative structure organized for the construction of the works to be undertaken, and the technical and financial facilities made available for the construction of the works in order to achieve the planned results;
- ascertain the correct organization of the construction site from the logistical and operational point of view;
- ascertain the compliance with all the legal requirements and special tender specifications with particular regard to the aspects of environment protection and the safety of the workers and others affected by the works;
- identify during the works of any discrepancy between the works planned and those undertaken in order to provide the corrective measures necessary to comply with the terms and conditions originally agreed;
- suggest the measures necessary for maintaining the advancement of the works in compliance with the planned schedule and costs;
- identify the critical situations and determine the checking procedures, alarm thresholds and hierarchical organs in charge of these.
- During the works, the Works Supervision office undertook the following activities:
- drawing up work orders;
- counterclaims to the reservations recorded in the accounting register by the contractor;
- drawing up of 2 change and additional expert’s reports;
- drawing up of accounting documents;
- technical support to stability inspection and technical and administrative testing.